Wednesday, July 29, 2009

random

I am used to seeing people with strange English phrases and nonexistent English place names on them; this seems to pretty much be a part of global culture by now (as are misspellings of "Dolce and Gabbana"). Nana and Justin had a great post about some knockoff Pittsburgh Steelers stuff in Korea that said something like "Peanutsburg Nutters." The best ones I've seen in Turkey so far have been "Flip-Flop Fanatic" with a clip-art pair of flip-flops (on a man, twice); "I am Summer Muffin!" with a photorealistic cupcake in heart-shaped sunglasses, and "Don't live on the hillside" in threatening Goth letters on a black shirt.

But yesterday on the bus I saw a guy in a shirt that said something like "Since 1956 Genuine Ice Hockey All-League Stars", with SANDUSKY in big letters above that. I definitely did a double take. Where did some t-shirt designer with questionable English skills pull Sandusky out of? The ones in Ohio (Upper and regular) are the only Sanduskies I know of.

Tonight I am leaving on a night bus for Alanya, a resort town (with a castle!) on the Mediterranean coast. I have never seen the Mediterranean. I have never been scuba diving. I have never river-rafted. (Ok, maybe I've river-rafted. I'm not sure.) I will do all of these things in the next three days, thanks to your (and my) tax dollars! Thanks, U.S. Department of State!

1 comment:

  1. Say hi to the Mediterranean for me! Tell it I'll be back asap ;-)

    ReplyDelete