Saturday, July 4, 2009

God bless you!

I'm back from Kapadokya and Konya and will write about them soon!

What Turkish phrase am I best at saying? Probably "Sen de gör." When you sneeze in Turkey, the response people give is "Çok yaşa" or "İyi yaşa," meaning "Live much" or "Live well," respectively. The response is "Sen de gör", "May you see (it) too," meaning, "May you also live to see all those years that I'm going to live." I get to say this a lot, because in Turkey I sneeze even more than I sneeze in the U.S. And that's saying a lot, friends. I am allergic to LIFE in Turkey. I probably sneeze upwards of 20 times a day.

So today I was excited when Nilay, one of our teachers, sneezed and responded to "Sen de gör" with "Hep beraber," "All together!" (i.e. "may we all live long together!") Hurrah, some variety to add to my daily collection of sneeze-responses!

No comments:

Post a Comment