Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Seurat the Dot, or Dorky Language Post Number One (of Many)

What's with that dot on the first letter of İstanbul in your last post, Leslie?

Well, I'm glad you asked! (Someone really did ask me this over the weekend, and I really was glad.) Turkish has two versions of the letter i, and they represent different sounds. The one with the dot, written i in lower case and İ in upper case, is pronounced like the vowel in English beet, or perhaps bit.

(I am not clear on this point because my Turkish textbook says the former – pronounce it like beet – but my Turkish professor pronounces it more like bit. Maybe I'll report on this once I've heard more native Turkish speech.)

The one without the dot, written as ı in lower case and I in upper case, represents a high back tense unrounded sound. If that means nothing to you, it sounds a little like the u in English cup, but with the back of the tongue a little closer to the roof of the mouth. Or the Russian vowel ы, but with the tongue a bit farther back toward the throat.

Anyway. İf İstanbul were written without the dot in Turkish, it would sound kind of like Uhstanbul. Since there's no such problem in English, İ guess there's no reason to keep writing it as İstanbul in this English-language blog, except that İ like capital dotted i.

-Yelİz

1 comment: